TheCattleSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the cattle industry

Go Back   TheCattleSite Discussion Forum > Pedigree Breeding
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread January 5th, 2009, 04:12

Default New Breed

Hi there,
i have just registered on your webside. I am a Wagyu breeder from Australia. I breed also Pinzgauer cattle. Finally I have crossed Full blood Pinzgauer with a Full blood Wagyu Bull. All the calves look the same (bronish black with a white tail). Do you have any information how and where I can register this "new breed".
Thanks
Albert
Unread January 6th, 2009, 18:51
Super Moderator

An F1 cross is not eligible for recognition as a breed, you need to breed the crosses and select for the traits wanted for a minimum of 4 generations, and they must breed true to type phenotipically. Once you have stabilised the type, and have a clearly defined breeding program, you can register your breed society and maintain a stud book recording all pedigree animals ancestory.
There are many 'new' composites developed, unless you have something really outstanding to offer, there will be little interest in yet another type.
Read up on the development of breeds such as the Beefmaster (Tom Lassiter), and the Bonsmara (Prof Jan Bonsma) thre are good books written by both these sucessful breeders.
Unread June 18th, 2009, 06:32

Lightbulb wagmasters

Along the same line as you are doing, I now have two full sisters that are half beefmaster and half wagyu. One looks like a black beefmaster and the other looks like a black wagyu but not as ugly.

These are first cross Beefmasters and in due time I will upgrade them to a registered Beefmaster.

I am just hoping I can maintain some of the Wagyu carcass marbling while making a real good beef mama cow with the Beefmaster influence.

Anyone interested in Beefmasters can go to www.beefmasters.org or www.bpbregistry.com for more information.

Richard
Unread June 19th, 2009, 21:48
Super Moderator

Hi Richard,
The marbling should maintain a high level at 25% Wagyu, but will quickly reduce at a lesser percentage, Briggs Genetics in TX still has some Tuli/Wagyu crosses which would cross well to Beefmaster an give the required marbling in the F1 carcase. We crossed some Beefmaster over full blood Tuli cows some years ago and produced some exelent carcases, and a high degree of heterosis was an added benefit! the Wagyuli should give exeptional results.
Unread October 13th, 2010, 14:58

They cant be made their own breed per se but for example if it is like gelb viehXAngus cross at least 50% you can register them as balancers with the gelbvieh association. Also, with Salers anything 25% or greater can be registered as an optimizer. I am not sure about pinz and wagyu. I would say check with your respective breed associations and see what their requirements are for registering cross bred cattle.
Unread April 24th, 2013, 12:23

The new breed produces both polled and horned individuals. In color, they range from a light red or honey to a Santa Gertrudis cherry red. Mature weight in cows ranges from 1,100 - 1,200 pounds, while bulls tip the scales from 1,800 - 2,000 pounds. The cattle have proven very heat resistant and adapt extremely well to South Texas' harsh climate and environments. They range far and wide and work the large pastures of King Ranch very well.

how do i check my paper for plagiarism for free

Last edited by Haman03 : November 22nd, 2014 at 11:20.
Unread May 8th, 2013, 14:10

Default Tube Tech International Ltd

Tube Tech International Ltd