TheCattleSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the cattle industry

Go Back   TheCattleSite Discussion Forum > Beef Cattle Health/Welfare
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread January 24th, 2011, 18:30

Default Handling Advice, at Birth

I have two in-calf Aberdeen Angus heifers. Obtained at eight months old from a hill farm where they were bred outdoors. First time they were handled was when we bought them. A tad wild.

Had them 11 months, outdoors except when inclement weather or too much poaching. (Wales, it can be wet.) Local dairyman injected them when they arrives and he called them 'lively'. The vet TB tested, brought into season and then AI'd. Heifers now very suspicious of men. They loathe the crush.

One took from AI the other wouldn't take. My instinct said she was too uptight by the whole process and managed to find a very kind farmer who let her run with his bull, it worked.

They come for a feed bucket, and bring themselves into the shed. I can brush their heads to shoulders, but only if they concur. You can see the mischief in their eyes.

My worry is calving and if I need to intervene. What steps should I be taking with them and what do I need to prepare for calving? Should I try to introduce a harness?

Any and all advice taken and gratefully received.