TheCattleSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the cattle industry

Go Back   TheCattleSite Discussion Forum > Dairy Cattle Health/Welfare
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread March 10th, 2010, 23:08

Exclamation Mastitis or severe trauma to udder?

Hi!
I have a cow the got Mastitis Sunday and we we treating her with Naxcel and Pirsue to the quarter. Yesterday day i noticed a lil clots and stuff. Now last night she started with blood. I switched her antiibiotic to Polyflex. Today that quarter it is JUSt dripping blood from her teat and it doesnt stop even after being milked. The quarter is very swollen and hard. Do you think this is still mastitis or could she of had severe trauma to that quarter? I do not get any milk out of that quarter, it is just straight blood.
Thanks So Much- Shelly
Unread March 11th, 2010, 13:17
Super Moderator

Default Possible Staph A or E.coli infection

Hi Shelly,
This sounds like a bad Staph A or E.coli infection and could result in a lost quarter and in some cases loss of life ! I say this but without actually being there it is so hard to diagnose correctly.
You really need to call your vet who will hopefully put your cow on a 'drip' to try and remove all the toxins and fill her full of antibiotics for any secondary infections.
She will need her temp taking asap, is there any chance you could post back and let us know what it is please ? Is she scouring, drinking fluids and eating ?
She may go down if very ill so will need watching over the next 24 hours.
Good luck !
Jon
Unread March 11th, 2010, 15:33

Hi Jon,
I did have the vet come again yesterday and she is now on Poly-Flex. She is drinking eating, and acting like a totally normal cow and this has been going on since sunday. No Scours either. Her temp was 103.0 this morning. She does have an upper respitory infection on top of it she is coughing too the vet said. But now they dont want me to put Pirsue in that quarter anymore or milk it even..
Thanks so much for your help- Shelly
Unread March 11th, 2010, 16:02
Super Moderator

Default Good news !

Hi Shelley,
Thanks for posting back so promptly !
Now that you tell me that she is standing and otherwise ok then it's not the deadly infection I thought previously, had it been she would not have been so bright, the complete opposite in fact.
I hope your vet has given you the right advice in telling you not to touch or milk out the quarter, frequent milking can often help the cow shed any toxins faster but by the same degree cause further damage to an already stressed udder, he probably has this in mind with his advice.
Good luck and please let us know how she goes !
Jon
Unread March 11th, 2010, 16:15

Hi Jon,
Thanks for the reply. Yes i had two different vets opinions. One would like to strip and milk out that quarter and the other vet doesnt want me too. I hope she heals because she is one of my show cows and hoping it doesnt turn to gangrene.
Unread March 12th, 2010, 11:58
Super Moderator

Default How now ?

Hi Shelly,
How is your girl now, still on the mend ?
I really hope that gangrene does not affect that quarter, it can be very distressing for both you and your girl. Apart from the smell of rotting flesh you have to be ultra careful about milking the other quarters and ensuring that the infection does not spread.
I'm just wondering how she came to be infected in the first place, this sort of ailment can be caused by flies or the environment so if you can find out how it happened it may well save any future outbreaks.
I wish you both the very best, please keep in touch and keep us appraised of any developments.
Jon
Unread March 12th, 2010, 15:32

Hi Jon,
She is doing good the vet still has her on pencillin and tomorrow is her last dose. She is doing good eating drinking and all.. The quarter is still warm yet but very hard. And now i cant get any milk from that quarter and if i try to strip her all i get is drips of blood. Do you know anything about selenium or vitamin e helping with their antibodies or anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncowcare
Hi Shelly,
How is your girl now, still on the mend ?
I really hope that gangrene does not affect that quarter, it can be very distressing for both you and your girl. Apart from the smell of rotting flesh you have to be ultra careful about milking the other quarters and ensuring that the infection does not spread.
I'm just wondering how she came to be infected in the first place, this sort of ailment can be caused by flies or the environment so if you can find out how it happened it may well save any future outbreaks.
I wish you both the very best, please keep in touch and keep us appraised of any developments.
Jon
Unread March 12th, 2010, 16:42
Super Moderator

Default Lost for ever ?

Hi Shelly,
Thanks for your reply, an interesting question you ask about Selenium and Vit e !
Selenium is more associated with a cows metabolism and the only way to find out if your girl is deficient is by your vet doing an expensive test, if you feed her cake [pellets etc], grain and or vit/mins check the packaging to see what is included. Selenium should be included as a matter of course, you might like to Read here for more details.

Vitamin E is of course equally vital, because it is a natural biological antioxidant you might do as well to try rubbing in some [in oil/cream form] into her udder/quarter to aid healing and skin recovery. Also check any feed products to see if it is included in them.
Do you have any disposable/latex gloves, if so try and use them any time you touch her udder and destroy them after use.
Is it possible to show a photo of her udder ? It would help us to help you better.
Good luck !
Jon
Unread March 12th, 2010, 17:40

Hi Jon,
Thanks so much for the help. I will get pictures of her udder later and put them on here!!! For the Vitamin E should i buy like the vitamin e for humans such as the cream or such i buy the vitamin e capsules and open them and put it on her udder.
Unread March 13th, 2010, 11:31

Default pictures

Hello,
Here are the pictures... the quarter that is bad is the FRONT right as you can see in the one pictuure the teat is bigger than the others. In the picture of the rear udder the vet said theres nothing wrong with it it's just due to the swelling and all from the front quarter. Also she still has a cough.

thanks shelly