TheCattleSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the cattle industry

Go Back   TheCattleSite Discussion Forum > Dairy Cattle Health/Welfare
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread January 13th, 2009, 20:25

Default worm pervention in Dairy cows

I would like to know what is the best way to worm cows? I have used the pour on and didn't have much success. I live in north Florida and sometimes the hot weather makes the situation worse. I have also tried the paste when my calves where smaller, but now that they weigh between 600 and 500 lbs and I don't have a head shout, I would think that it would be impossable to worm them with the paste, also giving them an injection would be next to impossable.

Thanks for any info.
Unread April 18th, 2009, 10:55

Are you giving your cows a salt lick at all? if so ensure adequate copper and sulphur in it (you will need to check exact quantities). I suggest you look up Pat Coleby in Australia - she has been an organic nutrition consultant for about 40 years. Very much recommend a read.
Unread April 18th, 2009, 11:44

Thanks for infomation.I would like to know what is the best way to worm cows? I have used the pour on and didn't have much success. I live in north Florida and sometimes the hot weather makes the situation worse.
Unread April 18th, 2009, 23:19

are you absolutely certain that the cows have worms? Generally the pour ons are pretty good but you should take some fecal samples and get them analysed for worm burden to ensure you use the right drench. As I said before both copper and sulphur have vermifugal properties and sulphur also has antifungal and antibiotic effect. Prevention is better than cure after all.
Unread September 5th, 2009, 02:22

I was registered at your forum. I have printed the test message. Do not delete, please.

property internet management software project document asset This internet management software is perfect for your document and web company property internet management software project document asset
Unread November 9th, 2009, 12:21

I have had a small herd of Dexter for 18 months now and no sign of worm. Is this usual, should I treat preventatively against worm or leave them until the first signs appear?