TheCattleSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the cattle industry

Go Back   TheCattleSite Discussion Forum > Employment/Jobs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread April 14th, 2010, 11:35

Default job needed from june onwards

I am a student currently studying National Diploma in Agriculture, and I am looking for an agricultural based job for the next 14 months as part of my work experience.
I am very hard working, determined and trustworthy, with a strong desire to learn. I am also very capable with the paperwork, computing & am confident in communicating, as I am educated to a good standard having achieved high grades at GCSEs in nine subjects.
I have experience with pigs, sheep and Beef cattle and also have touched on poultry. I also have a MO1 certificate in tractor driving, so I am a competent tractor driver. I also obtain a full drivers licence and my own car.
Ideally I am looking for a full-time job with pigs, sheep and beef cattle, and would be hoping to be looking at a semi-managerial role if possible.
I can be situated anywhere in the U.K commencing from late June 2010.
Richard
Please contact me on: bricerichard93@gmail.com or phone me on: 07766168172
Unread April 14th, 2010, 12:30
Super Moderator

Hi Richard,
Welcome to the forum and good luck for the future !
I assume this is your second year on the NDA course after spending the first learning all the theory ?
I am an ex NCA [with Credit] student so know what it's like trying to find work in the UK where many farmers are struggling to survive let alone take on extra staff.
If I recall I and many of my classmates could only find work either night-lambing [great fun on a Welsh hillside with snow all around and a torch that struggled to show as much as a candles worth of light !] or else during silage/harvest time.
I would suggest reading the "Farmers Guardian" or "Farmers Weekly" which are usually full of jobs around this time.
I wish you well, keep in touch and let us know how you go eh ?!
Jon
Unread April 14th, 2010, 12:42

hi jon,
thanks for all the support and advice its really apprieciated,
i will let you know how i get on!
thanks
richard
Unread April 15th, 2010, 20:26
Super Moderator

Hi Richard, welcome to the forum. I am not up to date on what training vacancies have been filled for this year, but contact Laverstoke and see if you can be fitted in, it is a good place to gain a wide experience in both commercial breeds as well as rare breeds and unusual animals (Water buffalo and Wild boar)
Contact the office on this link, and browse the website on the same link;
http://www.laverstokepark.co.uk/contacts
Unread April 16th, 2010, 20:12

thankyou very much for your reply Rhodie, i have contacted laverstoke park and am eagerly waiting for a reply,
thanks once again,
Richard
Unread April 17th, 2010, 09:32
Super Moderator

Hi Richard,
Fingers crossed for you that Laverstoke have a place for you, I must admit working with buffalo and other rare breeds would be a real feather in your cap and really help for your 3rd year NDA when I seem to recall you have to do a dissertation to include costings, variables etc, it may even give you ideas for running your own buffalo farm in the future ?!
You might also get the chance to be working with Andy who has so many skills and so much experience to share, I've always maintained that a year spent with an experienced mentor is worth it's weight in gold.
Jon

Last edited by joncowcare : April 17th, 2010 at 09:40.
Unread April 17th, 2010, 17:12

hi jon,
i have got my fingers crossed but still no reply ...i will just have to hope that when the reply to my email it will be a good one ...its just the type of farm i was dreaming about working on if not better
i will let you know as soon as possible what the outcome is,
thanks
Richard