TheCattleSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the cattle industry

Go Back   TheCattleSite Discussion Forum > Producers and Vets
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread January 8th, 2011, 05:38

Actually my cattle breed is Jersey. I have two Jersey cattle breed. It is the bulls are known for having the least docile temperament of the common breeds of cattle. The cattle is quite small, ranging from only 800 to 1200 pounds (360 to 540 kg). Jersey cow produces milk more efficiently than other breeds.
I want your view guys. Tell me which is your Favourite cattle breed?

Last edited by peterpiper1987 : January 10th, 2011 at 09:06.
Unread March 26th, 2011, 09:29
Super Moderator

Abdur, looking foreward to seeing some pictures of your cattle.
Peterpiper, I used to milk Jerseys on improved pastures in the tropics, at this time we started a program of crossbreeding to a local Sanga breed, to deveop a heat resistant breed capable pf producing off native pasture, for local peasant farmers. This composite was working very well when I left the program.
Unread February 18th, 2012, 02:06

My favorite breed would be Speckle Park. I've not raised them before, but would like to if/when I can. Another favorite is Shorthorn. We've had some stocker shorthorn steers before, and they were quite tame, just about the point of being annoying. But speckle park cattle are really neat cattle...
Unread March 18th, 2012, 12:55
Super Moderator

Wildrose, is it just the appearance of the Speckled Park cattle that you like, or are there apects of their productivity that impress you? (ability to do well off grass etc?)
Unread August 2nd, 2012, 03:33

Rhodie: Both, actually. I've heard lots of good things with the Canadian Speckle Park, from the fact that they're docile, great on grass/rangeland and very hardy to good mothers with great calving ease to their excellent carcass characteristics that is competitive to Angus. And yes, they're certainly pretty to look at! :lol: What I don't like about them is that they are not selling for cheap, they're not all that popular (hence the pricey-ness), and there seems to be a bit of variation in certain strains; some are more dairy-ish than others, for instance. But other than that, they look to be some nice animals.

Another growing favorite is Galloway, a very hardy breed that shares same/similar characteristics to the SP above.
Unread August 26th, 2013, 12:58

Default jonson

I think cattle breed is similar to cow but actually it is not cow. You can obtain it in Ghana. It give milk and meet in many farm of Ghana.

Last edited by juliapeter007 : August 26th, 2013 at 13:14.