TheCattleSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the cattle industry

Go Back   TheCattleSite Discussion Forum > Beef Cattle Health/Welfare
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread March 27th, 2008, 16:54

Default hobby farm beef cow

What do people do who want to try and raise a single or two heads of beef for their own use or local sale. Is there a particular breed, or does anything work. Is it ok to use dairy steers, like I see the feeder calfs in 4H are often Holsteins (I think!).

I really like the mini cows like Dexter or Low Line Angus, but they don't appear cost effective for a hobby farm.

Any suggestions? ; and thanks in advance!
Unread March 29th, 2008, 07:25

Send a message via Yahoo to Marian
Default Raising beef for the table...

Raising beef for table can be costly and to be expected. Myself, my children and being a 4-H Leader for livestock clubs, I can assure you that you would not be saving alot of extra savings in feeding out a calf for our own use. But the reward in raising our own beef? Knowing what we have fed our calves, and the pleasure of having daily chores of feeding them! ... No, holstein breeds are not recommended for prime beef cuts for the table, as they are bred for milking proposes, but not saying we dont do it. Holstein steers sell for so much less money at the auction, we chose to slaughter them rather then beef breeds (we occasionally buy orphan Holstein bull calves if we need one to graft onto a cow that lost her baby). ...
You can purchase young calves at Livestock Sale Barns in the spring. Right now, a baby beef calf sells for $350 here in ND. Then you would have to feed this calf with milk replacement, then wein to a feed ration as it gets older. [We raise Gelvieh beef cattle, known for twins, so I have 4 orphans right now that I will feed out to sell with their siblings in the Fall.] .... Or you can go to the Livestock Sale Barn and watch for an older calf to come to buy singlely, expect to pay $400-$600 in todays market. Ask a County Agent, or Feed Rep for a ration to raise this beef calf for slaughter. We feed our slaughter cattle for our own use of corn,oats,hay ration. The taste of meat can taste differently with what we feed them. With our breed we use, the calf is 13-16 months old before it is ready for slaughter..
Your idea of using a miniature breed of beef cattle would be a great idea for a hobby farm. An Angus breed is an excellant beef breed for prime cuts. Do some researching, some breeds feed out and mature sooner then others. Keep in mind what you will be feeding this calf and the cost, and the slaughter cost can be pricey too!
Unread March 12th, 2009, 08:43

Send a message via MSN to owatto

i have a single angus heifer shes 18 months old, i bought her after my first stud heifer had to be put down and i wanted a heifer to practice breaking in with... the breaking in was successful...the only problem i have is that when i go to breed... theres a few problems like i dont have a bull, and i dont have any other cows so i cant see when shes on heat.
Unread January 10th, 2011, 15:38

i have a single angus heifer shes 18 months old, i bought her after my first stud heifer had to be put down and i wanted a heifer to practice breaking in with... the breaking in was successful...the only problem i have is that when i go to breed... theres a few problems like i dont have a bull, and i dont have any other cows so i cant see when shes on heat.
Unread July 12th, 2013, 13:28

Boosting meat pertaining to table might be costly and be likely. Me personally, my little ones and also like a 4-H Leader pertaining to livestock golf clubs, I could ensure an individual that you simply would not become saving many additional personal savings throughout giving available any calf for our personal make use of. Even so the incentive throughout increasing your own meat? Knowing what we should have got given each of our calf muscles, plus the enjoyment of obtaining every day duties of giving these people!... Zero, Holstein breeds will not be suggested pertaining to prime meat pieces for that table, as they are usually bred pertaining to milking suggests, however, not saying we all don't get it done.
Unread November 27th, 2013, 11:45

Thanks for sharing good info.

Last edited by aaronbarrett : September 23rd, 2014 at 14:08.
Unread May 5th, 2014, 08:37

thanks for sharing