TheCattleSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the cattle industry

Go Back   TheCattleSite Discussion Forum > Beef Cattle Health/Welfare
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread October 4th, 2010, 12:37

Default calf just not thriving

We have a calf about 2 1/2 weeks old now, she is out of an older cow and just did not latch on well when she was born. Cow had a large udder. We gave colostrum a couple of times during the first week, then with help she suddenly found the teats. Now it seems like she is jumping from teat to teat quickly and nursing every chance she gets. We were thinking the cow did not have much milk so we bought some milk replacer and tried bottle feeding her. She just always seemed hungry and is not gaining weight at all. She wants nothing to do with the bottle or a bucket and goes straight back to mama to nurse. There is another cow with them but will not let her nurse. We do see her eating grass a bit and drinking water but her sides are still caved in and she is not gaining weight just barely maintaining as near as we can tell.

Suggestions would be great thanks
Unread October 10th, 2010, 15:26

thanks for the help, she actually started eating from the bottle and then got tramped on by another cow so she has a dislocated hip now, but she is coming slow but sure. Another cow lost her calf and we tried to buddy them up but no go i am afraid. Vet checked her and she is staying hydrated between the bottle feeding and the cow so i guess it is just a matter of the bottle now. Like I said she is improving and is a tough little nugget!
Unread October 12th, 2010, 03:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangles
We have a calf about 2 1/2 weeks old now, she is out of an older cow and just did not latch on well when she was born. Cow had a large udder. We gave colostrum a couple of times during the first week, then with help she suddenly found the teats. Now it seems like she is jumping from teat to teat quickly and nursing every chance she gets. We were thinking the cow did not have much milk so we bought some milk replacer and tried bottle feeding her. She just always seemed hungry and is not gaining weight at all. She wants nothing to do with the bottle or a bucket and goes straight back to mama to nurse. There is another cow with them but will not let her nurse. We do see her eating grass a bit and drinking water but her sides are still caved in and she is not gaining weight just barely maintaining as near as we can tell.

Suggestions would be great thanks

Ummmmmmm I do not mean to be rude but you answered your own question. HELLO! THIS CALF IS STARVING TO DEATH because of lack of milk from the cow. Either tube the calf and get it to drinking the milk replacer or let it die. Those are your choices. Again I do not mean to be rude but the harsh reality is those are your only two choices if it wont take the bottle.
Unread October 12th, 2010, 03:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena
I have a friend that swears by tubing. IF you can get what you need, I'd do that ASAP. At two weeks, there is no way hay/water are going to meet the needs of your calf.

Is it possible to milk the cow to increase production? Have you checked her udder to make sure all four quarters are working and that there is no mastitis.

Still, tubing is my first suggestion, as that is what I can hear my friend saying.

Talk to the vet about a possible shot of oxytocin. Sometimes you can give it and a cow will "let their milk down".
Unread October 12th, 2010, 11:15

Thank you for the thread..