TheCattleSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the cattle industry

Go Back   TheCattleSite Discussion Forum > Beef Cattle Health/Welfare
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread November 22nd, 2009, 22:25

Unhappy Pinkeye

Aug. 28th I notice pinkeye in about 12 head in my beef cattle herd including my bull. Treated all with tetracycline im and all recovered without problems except my bull. Treated him twice more with tetracyline and finally had to have one of his eyes removed. Vet treated him post-surgery with penicillin im. After a week bull was so weak he could hardly get up. Began treating with Nuflor and dexamethasone and after two treatments spaced two days apart the bull seemed fine. Now the bull seems to have "lost his mojo" and eats very little and leaves herd to be by himself. What should I do. Bull is very tame and throws great calves. Would rather not sell him. Want to rehabilitate him. Any suggestions? Any experience with this type of problem. The bull is a registerd black angus. Rest of herd is commercial grade.
Unread November 23rd, 2009, 14:56
Super Moderator

Hi pinetta,
I'll probably be laughed at but my own view would be that your bull has lost his self-esteem following his illness and needs to re-assert himself with the herd.
Does he have any favourites in the herd or do you have any nice young heifers waiting to be introduced that you could pen him with ?
I would separate him for a week or so to allow him to realise what it is he is missing but include either of the above after this time to allow him to regain his confidence again.
Like many fellas he probably is still feeling weak and just needs some time to recuperate on his own, he's been through quite a rough time by the sounds of it !
Good luck,
Jon
Unread April 22nd, 2010, 18:35
Super Moderator

Where are you situated Pinetta? When I lived in the USA, I noticed there were too many cattle kept in climatic zones which they were not adapted to, the CAB premium sales has resulted in too many Angus type cattle being kept in environments which they are not adapted to. A long term solution may well be to choose a breed adapted to your environment, and keep enough Angus influence to still qualify for the premium.
Unread October 12th, 2010, 03:27

Well I realize this is an old thread but first and foremost if you ever have pinkeye I have found a sure fire way to get rid of it quick even after the eye is completely ulcerated and about to pop. 45 cc of LA-200 then draw up 5cc in the syringe and take the needle out and then squirt it directly into her eye. It will be absorbed into the blood stream via the blood vessels in the eye very quickly. Lastly give 5cc dex for the swelling and turn em out.