TheCattleSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the cattle industry

Go Back   TheCattleSite Discussion Forum > Beef Cattle Health/Welfare
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread June 22nd, 2010, 21:52

Default please help....sudden death in holstein calf

I do not understand why she died and am hoping someone could shed some light.

she was 2 weeks old. heffier.
still drinking directly on mom.
no signs of being sick. she was running around chewing her cud for the first time. playing in the dirt. starting to nibble on grass and taste dirt. no scours or anything like that.

within one hour she went from running around to we found her bellering. went out to see she was laying flat on her side legs stretched out tense. she could not stand or lift her head she was so weak. her eyes were starting to sink in her head. tried to give her water and some of moms milk. she didnt really want the milk got her to drink a little water. when she swallowed it you heard a gurgle in her stomach and she would beller again. she was breathing fine. just too weak to move. she died within 50 minutes. she was running around playing at 4pm died at 5pm. any ideas???? she was my pet I would really like to know. poison maybe? should I be worried about the mom and the year old calf?

thank you for your help
Unread June 23rd, 2010, 16:41

Send a message via MSN to livestock-id

Sorry to hear about the death. First thing is to visually look around, and see if there is anything she might have ate or drank? Sounds like posion, but please don't take my word for it. It is just speculation.

Sounds very odd, for the calf to die so quickly.
You did contact your local veterinarian? Please keep us posted on the results, if you find out what happened.
Unread June 23rd, 2010, 18:01

it has been really wet here lately and hot. we have lots of mushroom growing in our yard and woods. being that young she had just started to nabble on grass and taste dirt. I didnt think she would be curious enough to eat something like that. but maybe. I have talked to the vet, they said there are many reasons she could have died. only way I could know was an autopsy and I would have had to do that the same day. So I am out of luck. I am researching on diseases on the web but cant find many to kill her that fast besides anthrax, possibly lead poison or something like that. Thank you for your reply I appreciate it
Unread July 7th, 2010, 16:01

Send a message via MSN to livestock-id

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairygirl212006
it has been really wet here lately and hot. we have lots of mushroom growing in our yard and woods. being that young she had just started to nabble on grass and taste dirt. I didnt think she would be curious enough to eat something like that. but maybe. I have talked to the vet, they said there are many reasons she could have died. only way I could know was an autopsy and I would have had to do that the same day. So I am out of luck. I am researching on diseases on the web but cant find many to kill her that fast besides anthrax, possibly lead poison or something like that. Thank you for your reply I appreciate it

Thanks for the update dairygirl. The mushrooms could be the culprit, some mushrooms are poisinous. I will do some digging and come back and hopefully have something for you to look at.
Unread October 12th, 2010, 03:23

I am going to say either bloat (due to the gurgling sound) or black leg. Black leg kills em quick but you dont usually find em the way you found her you usually find em dufod (done up and fell over dead).