TheCattleSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the cattle industry

Go Back   TheCattleSite Discussion Forum > Dairy Cattle Health/Welfare
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread March 30th, 2010, 20:50

Question Jaw Clicking

I have a new calf whose jaw clicks all the time and she does not want to eat from a bottle because of it. I have never had this happen yet and I am wondering what the cause of this is. I have tried to google it etc. but can't find anything. I am hoping that someone can help me out.
Unread March 31st, 2010, 12:20
Super Moderator

Hi Mom,
Welcome to the forum !
Now, I've had a case of this also like you in a new-born calf which was due to a dislocation of it's jaw sustained during calving, now I'm not saying this is what's happened with your calf but it's one possibility and would explain why it is not suckling. [You may want to consider tubing it so that it gets that all important first colostrum]
Meanwhile check it's jaw, jaw muscles and tendons in that area, if you are not sure then try your vet.
Let us know how you do please ?
Jon
Unread March 31st, 2010, 14:17

Exclamation Jaw clicking

Thank you Jon! My husband and I will investigate that tonight. We have been tube feeding her but she can't stand it. When you slide it down the side of her tongue it is almost like there is an absess blocking so you can't get it down so we have to do over the top of the tongue. She does eat but she struggles a bit with us. I will keep you posted as to what progresses. Thank you, once again, for your input! It is greatly appreciated!
Unread March 31st, 2010, 16:49
Super Moderator

Hi Mom,
Following what you have just said about difficulties passing a tube down her throat she may just have a blockage of some sort so please check that out too.
Good luck !
Jon
Unread April 1st, 2010, 17:00

Crisis averted. It is an issue with a tooth. It has been taken care of. As of last night he was doing much better. Eating feed, drinking plenty of water, but still requires the feeding tube because no interest in drinking from the bottle but is even much better about that. Found out that it wasn't an absess he was just smart enough to lift his tongue so I couldn't get the tube in. Thanks for the input and I am glad that I found this website!
Unread April 1st, 2010, 17:05
Super Moderator

Hi Mom,
Fantastic news, I'm so glad for both of you !
Have you tried him with bucket-feeding at all, if you need any advice on this please write in.
Take care !
Jon