TheCattleSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the cattle industry

Go Back   TheCattleSite Discussion Forum > Beef Cattle Health/Welfare
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread June 11th, 2009, 00:11

Angry Beef Cattle Diseases

Hello Everyone!

I am not a cattle farmer.... though I have many questions. I hope someone here can help me. My "neighbor" has decided to "raise" or "hold" 60 weaned calves for 90 days, fatten them up and I guess sell them at auction for a profit. I am sure this is a common way of cattle , raising for profit and that's wonderful. But....These animals are in a 1 acre pen 200 yards from my back porch.

Finally... my question is....are there bovine diseases that can be transmitted to humans from flies?? Health dept regulations?

It's pretty rough, day 81.

Thanks!
Unread June 19th, 2009, 21:17
Super Moderator

Hello Tenngal, while there are no diseases transferred directy to people from bovines by flies, they are able to spread a multitude of diseases due to their natural behaviour, and so need to be controlled. If your neighour is approachable, discuss the problem with him, if not, one acre is far too small an area to hold so many cattle, and must be in violation of your local health laws, you might want to make enquiries, I could mail some of my rancher friends in Tennessee and ask if this helps?
Regards, Rhodie.
Unread September 11th, 2009, 13:05

Hi,
I have shown the infection of bird-flu but I haven't heard about disease passed through cattle animals to humans.But One should be cautious about it.The researches are progressed in any institute related to it.You should regards to doctor if you have any doubt.

Last edited by jasbone123 : September 19th, 2009 at 07:31.
Unread October 8th, 2009, 15:18

I thing grass fed cows are generally leaner and take much longer to get to marketable weights than do corn/grain fed animals. It also takes much less area to 'house' those animals. So it is economically much more efficient to put your cattle into a feed lot and give them grain to eat than it is to put them onto a large ranch and allow them to eat mostly grass. You can put 10,000 cattle into an area of a couple hundred acres and manage them easily with few employees as opposed to putting that same 10,000 cattle onto a ranch of hundreds of thousands of acres and manage them with many employees and much more time. The price per pound of the resultant beef is much less.
________
WENDIE 99

Last edited by doreen esta : May 7th, 2011 at 19:11.
Unread November 20th, 2009, 16:56
Super Moderator

Default E.coli, Salmonella etc . . .

Hi Tenngal,
I agree with Rhodie that there are too many bodies for the acreage involved.
On the assumption that they will be beef bulls you will have all sorts of problems and as for "Zoonostic diseases" [animal to man], take your pick !

E.coli, Salmonella the list is endless !

I hope you manage to solve your predicament soon ?
Jon