TheCattleSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the cattle industry

Go Back   TheCattleSite Discussion Forum > Beef Cattle Health/Welfare
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread March 31st, 2008, 05:58

Question how to choose new heifer?

what do i look for in a heifer (galloway) -- and whats a good price for one, just weaned heifer. thanks
Unread April 6th, 2008, 16:37

Send a message via Yahoo to Marian
Default Mother Cow Good Traits

When I am searching for replacement heifers, things that I look for are: Long bodied, wide pelvic area making sure she will have calving ease. Some cows that are too narrow in the rearend have calving issues. shaped for birthing). Sound feet, looking for cracked or twisted. Does she stand straight on all four feet? If the heifer does have shortened ears from freezing when she was born, make sure the feet are sound, sometimes the feet can be hurt from being frozen as well. Her hoofs shouldnt have ringged edges on them, chipped up. Hope this helps you some. Longer the body, the better, the calves need all the room they can have as it grows into 9 months.

I dont know about Galloway, watch the market. If you are purchasing for Purebred cows, expect to pay a little more money. A good commerical heifer here in N.D. will sell for $900-$1000. We bought some pregnant heifers, paid $1250 each but they are bigger framed cattle then that of Galloways.