TheCattleSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the cattle industry

Go Back   TheCattleSite Discussion Forum > Beef Cattle Health/Welfare
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread February 6th, 2008, 00:11

Send a message via Yahoo to Marian
Default Unhealthy New Calf

Calf was born in this condition, which I have never seen. The calf has all four swollen feet, swollen neck, rapid breathing, does eat some. Calf can not stand, and am viewing some pain. Calf does not have blood shot eyes, thinking that he may have been chocked during birthing. I am assuming this is a heart issue. Anyone have an input for this condition? Thanks.
Unread February 14th, 2008, 01:07

Default Figured things out!!

After the swellings went down on the calf's neck and legs, he can now breath and is able to suck his own milk even! We tubed his milk for him for 3 days, as he would start choking when he started sucking from the bottle.
Reason for the rapid breathing, was because he wasnt getting enough air to breath, as his neck as so swollen.
We came to the solution, being he was avg of about 120lbs, we are assuming that the mother just didnt have enough room in herself for her baby, and he was cramped. Right now, he still needs to get more correction done with his hind ankles, which still bends over. All four of his ankles were bent. We have placed braces on his hind ankles for him, waiting til his ankle can stand straight out on their own. He does walk around now, with a great appetite!!
This was very interesting to me, as I have never seen this before.
Unread February 15th, 2008, 03:17
Super Moderator

I certainly don't recall ever seeing anything like the condition you described, it would be interesting to hear if anyone else has experienced this or if a vet knows anything about it?
Unread March 4th, 2008, 18:13

Today, this calf is a very healthy eater and growing! We had to splint both of his back ankles, one of them we have removed and leg is doing well. One of his front knees is buckling now. After researching and visit with local vet, we have concluded it has to be "Rickets", a vitamen defiency. Even though we supply free choice to our cows with loose minerals, this doesnt mean all cows will eat it! So, we walk around with our bottle of Vitamen A&D, watching for any more signs of this crippling in our calves. We have over 70 calves now, with 2 calves showing up defiencies. Last year, we poured loose vitamins in the mixer wagon with ration thus the cows had to eat, and we also didnt have weak or crippled calves. But, we found out it was more costly for us to do this, and thus decided to offer it as free choice. And also it was too difficult for me as the feeder, stuggling with artheritis to handle the bags of minerals. But was it worth it, with 2 cripple calves now?
Unread March 31st, 2008, 06:02

Default goat wmd?

sometimes, goats get something like this,,, called white muscle disease. it affects joints, but they recover in a few days, its from a lack of selenium, but thats a goat.