TheCattleSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the cattle industry

Go Back   TheCattleSite Discussion Forum > Dairy Cattle Health/Welfare
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread April 20th, 2010, 23:57

Default New to Cattle

Hey there, I just got my first cow today. Its a Holstein Heifer calf. I would have prefered to wait and get a beef cow but my fiance wanted this little critter. I have and have had horses, pigs, goats, chickens etc etc but this is my first cow. I know enough to keep her alive and happy, but does anyone have any tips on keeping a holstein or cow in general for a newb?
Unread April 21st, 2010, 16:26
Super Moderator

Hi Rooster,
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first cow !
The fact that you have cared for other types of livestock will pay dividends plus of course as it's a calf you will have plenty of time to learn all you need before you have to start thinking about the milking side of cowcare.
There are some useful articles on this very site Try here
I'd also advise checking out some of your neighbours or maybe a local farmer and see if you can do some part-time work for them to learn more.
You might even consider doing a course at your nearest agricultural college but while theory is all well and good there is nothing like hands-on' experience.
I wish you all the best, keep in touch and let us know how you go ok ?!
Jon
Unread November 4th, 2010, 16:43

Hello!

I am excited to see you got a calf. I have worked on dairy farms for close to 5 years and am currently raising 2 of my own...soon to be four next spring both of mine are pets. If you have any questions you can ask me and I will try my best to answer. There are a lot of things that cows need that are different from horses ect. Are you planning on breeding her? If so I have tips on that as well as food and other things. I just dont know where to start with out a base point All I can really say is lots of hay
Keep me updated!

Andrea
you may email me also if you would like

racergirl212006@hotmail.com