TheCattleSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the cattle industry

Go Back   TheCattleSite Discussion Forum > Dairy Cattle Health/Welfare
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread January 1st, 2009, 08:45

Send a message via Yahoo to nauman
Default Tied vs Untied animals

Hello everybody

Here in Pakistan, our traditional farming was to tie the animal in the sheds, now we are practicing to construct fencing around the shed alongwith partitions according to physiological stage of the animals, so that animals will be free to move inside the shed and towards open area according to their own will, as well as they will be free to drink water and eat their feed.

But yesterday I saw the pictures of a very good farm in Thailand but I was surprised that their animals were Tied

Can anyone share his/her views and experiences of keeping animals Tied vs Untied.....?

From
M Nauman Manzoor
M. Sc (Hons.) Animal Nutrition
Farm Production Advisor

Last edited by nauman : February 13th, 2011 at 08:03.
Unread November 20th, 2009, 16:17
Super Moderator

Default Loose is better !

Hi Nauman,
I think the answer will depend on how much space you have but my own view would be to allow them complete freedom of movement.
A cow that can move around and interact naturally with others will be happier and in many cases provide more milk, have fewer health issues with a knock-on effect with better fertility.
I have had experience of both tied and un-tied and would always vote for un-tied every time !
There are benefits for the stockman apart from increased yields etc, it is a lot easier to spot any bulling cows for one thing or spot any illness.
Good luck !
Jon
Unread February 13th, 2011, 08:07

Send a message via Yahoo to nauman

Hi Jon
Thank u for your reply. I would like to add that Free animals will have access to water for 24 hrs a day. 1 lit milk needs 5 lit water. A milking cow needs almost 120 lit of water. So if she is tied, most probably, she will not have access for free water intake. So milk production will be lower down.

I appericiate your answer. Thanks
Unread February 20th, 2011, 02:36

I have to agree with jon on the issue. My parents had a dairy in northern sweden, where, due to the climatic conditions (deep snow a lot of the year) they kept the animals tethered.
I work in the dairy industry in Australia, and also have my own property and I can say, both from research and my own experiences that animals who are free to express their natural behaviour are happier, healthier, more productive and less inclined to vice like behaviour. Not to mention the animal welfare aspect; there is a big move by consumers away from the more'conventional' factory farming approach and back toward the more extensive and holistic systems so even from a marketing point of view you are on to a winner with 'free-range' animals if you lead the way.
There is ofcourse another important factor to consider which is that outdoor animals are less work intensive! You dont have to bring feed to them (if they have access to pasture at all times of the year anyway), you dont have to clean up after them and provide them with bedding and the amount of shedding and infrastructure required is minimal compared to housing an entire herd indoors!
Just a few thoughts...hope is of some help!