TheCattleSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the cattle industry

Go Back   TheCattleSite Discussion Forum > Beef Cattle Health/Welfare
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread February 7th, 2010, 23:41

Default Calf broken hoof

I had a heifer calf ( charlotte-sementle) born this winter however this was only one week after my barn had burnt down leaving no place for the cattle to go except the pasture I kept them in during the summer, however a little while after the calf had been born I noticed it limping thinking it was merely just having trouble getting throught the 2 feet of snow i kept a eye on it only to relize she was bleeding as well, so I roped her and checked out the hoof the enire back side of the hood was cut right to between the toes I put peroxide on the hoof and did my best to clean it out but it was infected, 2 weeks later she was still limping but when looking she seemed to have healed so once again I roped her down and the one toe the outer layer of the hoof ahd acually broken off leaving a vunerable hoof and a broken tip the infection had resided and cut was sealed up but she was still bleeding i put iodine and peroxide on the hoof cleaned it out and hten wrapped the hoof to help it grow back into shape but i am still concerned she is slightly limping but better now ( probally becasue it is very sore from the work we did on it) but I am looking for tips and any advice anyone can give me I haven't exsprienced anything like this before and would love if i could get some help on this thank you
Unread February 8th, 2010, 15:46
Super Moderator

Hi Skip,
First off you have done the right thing with your method of treatment to date, I would also have given some long-acting antibiotics for any secondary infections but that's by the by now. [If there had been any major infective organisms gaining entry through the hoof they would have shown by now]
It might be an idea to keep her in on soft straw if you have somewhere you can confine her to help it heal properly but again that may not be an option for you or her. Some cows go mad if they have not had a lot of human contact and confining her will only stress her out and possibly cause her to re-open the wound.
The snow and cold may be a blessing in disguise as most bacteria will not survive as well as they would in warm damp soil.
If it were me I would continue to treat/watch her but hopefully she will be on the mend now.
Good luck !
Jon
Unread January 25th, 2011, 11:12
Super Moderator

Hi Alixolson,
You must keep the calf as confined as possible to keep it from using the leg, make sure it is firmly splinted to prevent any movement, but not too tight so as to stop blood circulation. I doubt the calf will ever be 100% mobile and might have to stay in a kraal and be fed untill ready for slaughter, just depends on how badly it limps.
Where are you in Namibia? I exported the first Tuli cattle to Okahanja in 1978 next to where the Omatako dam is, welcome to the forum, hope to have some more discussions with you.