Blood from infected quarter...
We have a milk cow that when we bought her, was blind in one quarter due to trouble in the past. She has calved twice since we've owned her, and this past time we decided to try to milk out that "dry" quarter because it looked full and healthy like the rest. She was fine for about two weeks post calving, and then she turned up positive for mastitis from that quarter and had clots present on the filter. We treated with Masti-clear (the maximum dose) and she seemed to clear up, with a negative test for mastitis. Two weeks later she tested positive again and we retreated with the same Masti-clear (the max dose) and she was still positive and inflamed. We then called the vet, who treated her with an endo-toxin, a systemic antibiotic, took a culture, and recommended to do a round of Today on top of everything. The culture came back as a straight-forward environmental bacteria being the culprit, so we were in good hopes of all being well soon. She never cleared up, so we decided to go the way of the previous owner and let that teat dry up and keep milking the other three. Three weeks later, and she is very inflamed and dripping blood from that quarter. We milked her out two nights ago and again this am and I've never seen anything so gross. It did not resemble milk at all, more like brownish-reddish ooze. What is up with this quarter? And why didn't she respond to the rounds of antibiotics if this is a common bacteria? We did not take her temp yet, but she seems to be ok - will check her temp tonight. Any ideas?
Did you follow the full treatment of the antibiotics used, or only used them until it looked like the udder had cleared up? If it's the latter, then it sounds like you did more harm than good. You probably shouldn't have touched that quarter in the first place, seeing as she was already blind in one quarter and usable in all three.
No, she's got a real nasty infection in that quarter. Get the vet out again, and see what can be done other than constant application of antibiotics. And make sure if you do use antibiotics, to go the whole entire length of time required to treat her with, not just until she starts looking better.
|All times are GMT. The time now is 23:26.|
Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.