TheCattleSite Discussion Forum

TheCattleSite Discussion Forum (http://www.thecattlesite.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dairy Cattle Health/Welfare (http://www.thecattlesite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   droopy ears (http://www.thecattlesite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5660)

rjendreson September 1st, 2011 17:57

droopy ears

Hello Great site! I have a calf that was born on July 19th that was doing well eating a little hay and drinking 2qts of milk replacer per feeding. Last week he developed a dry cough and quit eating hay and grain. I started him on Penicillin G 2mils for 4 days and he seemed to get a little better but the cough never went away and now is getting droopy eared again and listless. He will still drink his bottles but won't eat hay and is getting SKINNY. I also noticed a small lump in his throat that my other two calves don't seem to have. Please, any useful suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :confused:

Rhodie September 2nd, 2011 17:51

Your calves are showing typical signs of worm infestation, treat them with Ivomectrin, they should show a quick response.

lbb September 5th, 2011 05:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjendreson
Hello Great site! I have a calf that was born on July 19th that was doing well eating a little hay and drinking 2qts of milk replacer per feeding. Last week he developed a dry cough and quit eating hay and grain. I started him on Penicillin G 2mils for 4 days and he seemed to get a little better but the cough never went away and now is getting droopy eared again and listless. He will still drink his bottles but won't eat hay and is getting SKINNY. I also noticed a small lump in his throat that my other two calves don't seem to have. Please, any useful suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :confused:

Sounds like your calf may have pneumonia, better get with your vet, have you taken its temp?

Cameron December 13th, 2011 04:04

I'm on my way out now to take everyone’s temp~ Two more calf’s are looking "droopy" now and the one I was worried about before is now coughing. Vet is going to give me some shots of Dulox (that spelling is probably not right but that what it sounded like on the phone) for all 4 calves since I now believe one is really sick and two more are working on it. He's also going to let me buy a bottle of ban amine (SP again?) for fever to keep on hand for both the calves and my goats. Thanks for the advice guys~ when I posted Saturday I wasn't even sure he was sick~ thanks to y'all I've been watching for specific symptoms and hopefully everyone is going to be okay.

WildRoseBeef February 17th, 2013 21:05

Banamine or Nuflor will help hit with this pneumonia problem. It definitely sounds like pneumonia or shipping fever, and probably compounded with worms to. Presence of worms can lower a calf's immunity, so it's best to hit them with some ivermectin (comes as ivomec, noromectin, etc) as well.

blogmixed07 June 12th, 2013 11:55

Landera Group Pty Ltd

LANDERA GROUP PTY LTD